Friday, June 3, 2011

We've moved

A few days after my last post, we found a house to rent. We spent the Easter weekend negotiating rent and a move in date, dogs, and all of that, but by the end of the weekend we'd made a decision.

We took possession of the keys on Friday May 20th. Jake had to work all weekend because a few people were coming in from out of town over the weekend. So, we worked everything out and planned to move on Monday May 23rd. I took the day off, Jake took the day off, we were all set. Somewhere during that time period I started to interview for a job. I ended up having to schedule a second interview for Monday morning at 8am. We'd hired movers who were planning to be there at 11am. It was going to be a tight fit, but we could make it work. We'd pack as much as we could ahead of time, and I'd spend the weekend moving some small stuff and getting ready. Monday morning, Jake would just have to take the sheets off the bed, and a few other small things and we'd be set.

Well Monday morning came and everything was going as planned. I headed off to my interview and nailed it, if I do say so myself. I got home and Jake had everything all ready... we just needed to make one trip to the new house, and get back in time to meet the movers....and then it started raining...... and by raining, I mean pouring down rain, hail, wind, you name it.

The movers called about then asking if it was raining in Fort Worth, and did we still want them to come. I said yes because I thought it was going to be a short shower. The only problem was, we'd disconnected the TV, and the internet so I really had no way of knowing that for sure. After about 20 minutes it was still coming down and I was starting to panic. Now I know it's just stuff, but man, it's all of our stuff and if some of it gets drenched like this it'll be ruined. So we called the movers to see if we could postpone for a few hours. They said unfortunately not and they were booked for the rest of the week. So we told them to come on over and we'd just make do.

At this point my mom called to see how everything was going... I was a little upset at the moment and told it was not going well. She listened, said she'd check the radar and hopefully everything would turn out.

My mom texted a few minutes later saying the storm was almost past, and it was totally clear after that. I was SO relieved to get that text.

By 11:15, the movers had shown up, it was still sprinkling but looked to be clearing up quickly. I had just given the movers directions and gotten them started and my phone rang again... it was the company I had just interviewed with, saying they were pretty interested in me and needed to do a background check and check my references!!

So within a 30 minute period I went from OMG my stuff is all going to get ruined or I'm not going to be able to move... to movers gettin it done and a potential job offer.

The move turned out just perfectly, by the time we got to the new house the sun was trying to come out. We still don't know where everything is going to go, but we're making progress.

1 comment:

Francis Shivone said...

And congratulations on the new space.